The city of Ingram is between Kerrville and Hunt on the banks of the beautiful Guadalupe River.
Ingram was founded in 1879 by J.C.W. Ingram who purchased 6 acres from Mr. Abner Morriss and opened a store and post office.
After the flood of 1932 the town decided to relocate. Most of the businesses moved about one half mile northeast to higher ground.
The first to move was the drugstore owned by J.J. Maxwell, now built of flagstone. Others followed, all building of flagstone and Ingram became known as the only Rock Town in the US.
Ingram incorporated in 1981 and elected a Mayor, Donald Oehler; City Marshal, Charlie Lee; and five Councilmen, Don Williams, Bruce Kimbrow, Vernon Burns, Monroe Schlabach, and Ed Lange.
Today the Mayor, James Salter; and Councilpersons, Brandon Rowan, Don Schultz, Shirley Trees, Monroe Schlabach, and Tommy Eure are still elected. The City Marshal, Rowan Zachry, is appointed by the Council.
Old Ingram Loop is a great place to shop with an assortment of artisans and businesses. Just across Johnson Creek bridge is the Hill Country Arts Foundation. It was started in 1958 and incorporated in 1959 as a non-profit educational organization. The HCAF combines art studios and theatre. The Theatre is open during the summer from June through August and also in the winter for indoor productions.
The Ingram Volunteer Fire Department was started in 1959.
The Ingram City Park has a pavilion with a kitchen and restrooms that can be rented for functions. This spring a walking trail was added with plans to extend the trail to the river.
Just west of the city is Ingram Lake Dam, a popular summer destination.